Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Ten 2011 Albums I'm most excited about

One of the most exciting things for me is the anticipation of new music from artists I've discovered. This is living breathing art- as a long standing lover of mostly dead composers whose opus I've heard in its entirety several times over, this it is a revelation to me and will really enhance my life.

1) Radiohead, tba

This is the big one. Radiohead first went back to the studio in May 2009 and there are indications a new album will appear in 2011 (and then I hope a tour).

2) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, tba

Alex Ebert posted on Twitter recently that' Magic was happening', whilst they were in Louisiana in November 2010 in the studio. We may see solo albums from Alex, Jade and Christian before the second ESMZ album, but anything will be a major event.
A track from Alex's solo album can be downloaded from here:

3) Terra Naomi: In Spite of You and not Because

Terra started recording on November 22 with producer John Alagia, following a very successful Pledge Music campaign and I can't wait for the studio and acoustic albums.

4) British Sea Power: Valhalla Dancehall

There won't be a long wait for this- it's out on 10th January 2011 and has already been reviewed by the BBC here. BSP are extremely original and have a unique sound, so I'll be interested to discover their latest work.

5) Fleet Foxes, tba

A second album release in 2011 looks likely. An update on their Facebook page in October 2010 said that the album is close to being finished but thet still have some work to do. It's certain to attract a great deal of interest, not least from me.

6) The Low Anthem: Smart Flesh

This is due to be released on 22nd Feburary 2011; I will be seeking it out as I found Oh My God, Charlie Darwin very entertaining.

7) Noah and the Whale: Last Night on Earth

Their third album is to be released on 7th March 2011 and there are a few details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Night_On_Earth_(album)

8) Portugal. The Man, tba
Portugal. The Man are pretty prolific, releasing an album a year since 2006, so it is no surprise that a release is planned for 2011, according to the band's Facebook page. They never fail to bring  smile to my face so I'll be extremely eager to download it.

9) Bon Iver, tba

I have a soft spot for For Emma, Forever Ago and therefore await the follow up, rumoured for a 2011 release, with much anticipation.


10) Decemberists: The King is Dead

The King is Dead is to be released very soon, 11th January 2011, and has already been reviewed favourably here: http://underthegunreview.net/2010/12/28/review-the-decemberists-the-king-is-dead/


No comments:

Post a Comment