Monday, January 10, 2011

NIN A Downward Spiral Review


Since I posted the reaction to my day listening to NIN, I've discovered that NIN fans are a really friendly and enthusiastic bunch of people. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise, since getting into NIN requires a certain degree of commitment, understanding and love of music. One thing which has struck me on reflection is the similarities between the complexity of contemporary classical music I've listened to and Trent Reznor's work, even down to some of the dissonant harmonies. I've come to realise that these two apparent musical opposites have a great deal of common ground and really it's sad that classical devotees at least are too click to judge and compartmentalise music based on its genre.

One helpful NIN fan pointed out that I'd inadvertently listened to the Broken EP when I thought I was commenting on The Downward Spiral, so here's my reaction to NIN's second album (I've corrected the original posting). I've given myself a little more space to give a quick reaction track by track.

There was an element of shock once more when Mr Self Destruct started. I've spent the past couple of days listening largely to folk influenced indie music, the hardest being British Sea Power's new album! However, after a few minutes I had managed to immerse myself in Trent Reznor's world and accept, rather than react against the aggression and dissonance.

Mr Self Destruct Real fear- an overwhelming sense of bombardment with sound. Shattering, with release in the middle and towards the end.

Piggy This is exquisitely (not a word I'd expected to use to describe NIN) structured with a gradual build up and surprising restraint. A surprising moment of relief.

Heresy Rhythm is key here. Pretty relentless. This is in your face.

March of the Pigs Utter rage, even in comparison with much of the material I listened to on my day long session, this is pretty challenging and really difficult not to resist with every fibre of your body.

Closer This is pretty striking. I probably wouldn't want to share the lyrics with my mother, but to my liberal sentiments this is valid self expression. Rhythm is key here. I love the way it dissolves at the end.

Ruiner Great Climax, almost orchestral in sweep, really mad.

The Becoming Great guitar work and spatial sense. Perhaps I need to seek out the SACD multichannel version because as pure sound it's fascinating.

I do not want this Unrelentingly difficult, lyrics shouted, maybe this is a descent into madness implied in the album title?

Man with a Gun Amazing impact and aggression, possibly some of the most unsettling music I've heard. This is brutal and maybe the angriest music I've ever heard.

A Warm Place A remarkable shift in mood from the previous track, I love the harmonies and atmosphere and the shock of the contrast. Perhaps because it is quieter, this is an area where I can clearly discern and appreciate Reznor's genius. The sheer sound is also so interesting (presumably the result of sampling). My favourite moment on the whole album.

Eraser Experimental in feel. Love the entry of the primeval drums and the gradual build up from the nothingness of the opening. This sort of  structure has several parallels in classical music. The entry of the vocal line towards the end and then return of devastating aggression is a surprise. The actual sound is amazing too on my expensive hi-fi bought to analyse the complexity of large scale classical works. Reznor can orchestrate.

Reptile Skilful letup in pressure at opening, then more rock like guitars

The Downward Spiral Ambient atmosphere, eerie piece, very original (but so is all of this album)

Hurt Amazingly emotional and after the preceding material is so moving. I've listened to symphonies over an hour long where your patience is rewarded by the theme being revealed in a large scale climax at the very end. Reznor is more original here though in that he dares to close on a quieter more subtle number with a surprising end. I really am wowed by Reznor's creativity and moved.

This album seems to cover an even wider range of emotions than the other NIN I've heard. The dark music takes the artform to the outer limits, stretching boundaries of what is music. Then there's A Warm Place which is amazingly touching and emotional. By the end, I felt exhausted, wrung out and disturbed. But I take this to be a sign of Reznor's skill in manipulating your emotions and causing you to question the world as it is.

When Stravinsky premiered the Rite of Spring in 1918, there was a riot. Now it seems relatively polite music, even before I was exposed to NIN. I reckon that NIN fans are far too enthusiastic about their music to interrupt a concert with a riot, but the shock of the new for me here has given me some idea how those Parisians felt in 1918.

As I write this, I've started to listen to The Fragile for a second time, and some of that shock and awe has been dissipated, in its place coming a greater understanding. I'm confident that there's enough complexity in this music for it to reveal new secrets on repeated listening. Perhaps instead of listening different NIN albums in one day, I should have put this one on repeat for 10 hours.

It's a pity that I didn't listen to this album on that first day with NIN, as it's now harder to place it in context. I think though that it may be the one most justifiably described as a masterpiece, but it's possible as I come back to this music that I will conclude that Reznor's entire output is masterly. It's already starting to get under my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment