Saturday, February 19, 2011

Radiohead King of Limbs


It was tough to separate the excitement at hearing a new Radiohead album (a day earlier than expected) from my reaction to the music, such was the anticipation. I've waited 24 hours to write this, and listened multiple times. I'm also now aware that reaction online has been mixed: mainly positive from fans, but with a significant minority of doubters. I'll say straight away this isn't likely to supplant the received wisdom that OK Computer is the greatest Radiohead album, and for many it will be in the bottom half of their ranking.

I also believe whilst it might not be the most outwardly appealing RH album, it is a work of musical genius and immense subtlety, a masterpiece. The 37 minute length means it it's concentrated, economical, and intense. There's extensive use of electronics, but the instrumentation is relatively spare, and the mood slightly reserved (some would say English), which for me creates tension. It doesn't aim for crowd pleasing melody, extrovert climaxes, or catchy tunes. Instead it's all about rhythm and the creation of atmosphere. It's eerie, has something of a forest at night about it, but isn't angry, bitter. or even particularly depressing.

The first standout track is Feral, which is remarkably original, controlled, and unexpected. For me, the ballad Codex is the emotional heart of the album, and is spellbinding, and moving, unbelievably well crafted. The experience of listening is in some ways similar to demanding classical music: concentration is required, repeated listening is needed to gain full understanding; and it's possible some will admire it more than love it. But love it I do, as in a darkened room, in a relaxed mood, it's so evocative that at the end I know I've been on a journey; I've been able to submit completely mentally to the music to the exclusion of all else. It gets under your skin and conjures up vivid pictures in your mind.

 The engineering and production is excellent by the way (well done for offering a lossless download option) and to me this is the pinnacle of contemporary music, regardless of genre, true art. I can see why some have not been wowed, those who fear Radiohead have been on a downhill, downbeat slide since The Bends. If you rate Kid A as perhaps the greatest of their albums though, as I do, put this on repeat and it may cast its spell over you. It's intellectual as well as emotional stimulation, and the artist I thought of as my next selection after this was Tool.

As a postscript, if you know someone in the position I was three months ago, who loves Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream but had never heard of Radiohead, buy them a copy, don't tell them what it is, but request their considered reaction. You have a moral obligation to do this!
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment