Sunday, May 8, 2011

Joseph Arthur, Manchester 2nd May 2011 8/10


I've just had the privilege of seeing Joseph Arthur three times in two weeks: the first occasion was with Fistful of Mercy at Coachella, then I caught the end of a performance at the Bardot, a small venue in LA; but ironically it was back in the UK that I saw the most extensive set, and was really moved. This restored my spirits after Coachella and other amazing experiences in California, proving like Portugal. The Man before my trip that music can transport you regardless of your geographical location.

Joseph played a small venue, Band on The Wall, which was respectably well attended, but had a very intimate feel, and suggested that he should have far more recognition in the UK (although I've heard that he has preferred to play smaller venues in the USA recently). The show opened with a remarkably fast and skilful painting, and for the next two hours, the music was almost uninterrupted. When I did start to talk, after the main set and before several encores, the audience almost willed him to get back to the music

Joseph remarked on Twitter after the performance that he was jet-lagged, but this didn't affect his amazing creativity. Elements which stand out for me are his touching lyrics (clearly he's a poet as well as musician and painter, a real Renaissance man) and his willingness to experiment with sampler and electronics (including a slightly troublesome iPad).

I couldn't help but compare this with David Ford, whom I'd heard three days earlier, and to me, this was warmer, more positive. Both are great musicians, true to their instincts and personality, but something which distinguishes Joseph Arthur for me is the bass. For me, music should be felt with my whole body, and remarkably for a solo performer, Joseph Arthur seemed to recognise this and produce a complex, layered palette of sound.

I was lucky enough to be near the stage, and it was fascinating watching his use of technology, including distortion and loop pedals. Somehow, his creativity rubs off on the audience, and I felt inspired for days afterwards. Being in the presence of such genius is a real privilege, and it helps to put the rest of life and its challenges into perspective.

I'd like to mention another music blog before I end this review, which contains a number of live reviews of Joseph Arthur concerts in LA: http://rockisagirlsbestfriend.com/ This is partly because this writer describes his impact more eloquently than I'm able to, and also in gratitude for her making me aware of him and urging me to go to see him live.

I got talking to a member of the audience who'd travelled some distance from Glasgow for this concert (necessitating and overnight stay): his fans are certainly loyal. Interestingly, Joseph mentioned during the show that he had a Scottish grandfather, and therefore a link with the UK.

Here are a few more pictures of the show. Hopefully it's now evident that you should make every effort to see Joseph Arthur next time he's in your area.



The picture below shows Joseph completing his painting shortly before the end of the show; it was offered for sale, so one lucky person may well be enjoying it now.


See below for some videos I captured of the performance. An audio recording of this show will also soon be available for purchase on Joseph Arthur's website:




8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment