Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reading Festival 27th August 2011

This is only my second major music festival, the first having been Coachella in April this year. The comparisons are fascinating: the crowd at Reading was far younger, more enthusiastic, and less affluent. It felt more egalitarian: no visible VIP areas, no ban on bringing your own water, and set pricing across all food and drink vendors. As far as I could se, security had a light touch, there were numerous wacky people in animal costumes, and none of the well manicured lawns and obsession with order of Coachella. Brits are used to unreliable weather, and the rain and mud only served to enhance the feeling of co-operation and free spirited nature. What was lacking is the spectacular desert setting with mountains in the background and palm trees: Reading's a far more mundane than Indio. I also suspect Festival Republic have a smaller production budget than Goldenvoice: the sound on the main stage was poor in certain locations, and there were fewer and smaller video screens.

I question the musical sensibilities of the organisers: their horizons were far too limited: an emphasis on Brit pop and rock acts, with no sign of American roots, little indie folk music, virtually no chillwave, world music or even rap. Perhaps they will adopt a more diverse artistic policy next year, since for the first time Reading didn't sell out until the last minute. My own tastes are not entirely mainstream, influenced by my classical background and a love for West Coast North America, but some of the acts on the main stage looked tired and formulaic. There was far too heavy a reliance on revivals on the main stage, looking backwards to past hits.

The Coopers are a folky pop act, with two Australian members, and whilst not in any way profound, were most enjoyable. An up and coming act to watch who opened Day 2 of Reading (my first taste of music there, as I was unable to attend on Friday) with joy. 6/10



The Joy Formidable from Wales were a lively opener on the main stage, and make a remarkably big sound for a trio. They made a greater impact on me when I saw them in a small venue earlier this year, but Ritzy Bryan puts on a lively show, smashing her guitar on the tam tam at the end of the set and with her enthusiasm, managing to distract the crowd from the rain showers. I suspect they gained several new fans here. 7/10

The Pigeon Detectives from Yorkshire put on a theatrical performance, Matt Bowman thrusting himself into the crowd and managing to spray a decent amount of water on my head (I was on the front rail). They were fun, but despite the fact the crowd appeared to love them, the music itself seemed pretty formulaic to me. 5/10


Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros have great personal significance; they are the band who converted me to indie music, and the first non-classical act I saw live. You could almost say they changed my life (although in truth it was the dear friend who introduced me to them that did that). I hold their album in such reverence that I was inevitably disappointed by the short set, seemingly with almost as much eccentric rambling from Ebert as music. Jade Castrinos rescued it with a moving performance of the exquisite Fire and Water, followed by a beautiful rendition of Carries On from Ebert. We heard one new track, which was in the simple, childlike manner of the solo Alexander album, and struck me as someone inconsequential. Ebert seemed detached last time I saw him in San Pedro on the Railroad Revival Tour, and whilst he was more committed in Reading, I do hope the break he talked about revives him. It would be so sad if this project runs out of steam just as its gaining recognition in Europe. 7/10

A messianic looking Alex Ebert at the front of the crowd. He spent nearly as much time here as on stage.



Two Door Cinema Club are a young band from Northern Ireland, and gave a strong, confident set on the main stage from their debut album Tourist History. This is the second time I've seen them this year, and this time, playing to a home crowd, seemed to be more extrovert in projecting their catchy songs. I was entertained but not really challenged: I'm not sure how much staying power this band has, but I enjoyed the moment. 7/10



The Kills put on a dark, moody performance with deep, body vibrating bass, and impressive singing from Alison Mosshart. I recommend their album Blood Pressures highly, although this Reading performance failed to connect with me: perhaps it was fatigue, or an overdose of loud rock which led me to desire something more relaxed at this point. 7/10


Cults from New York were frustrating: they started more strongly than the previous time I saw them, despite some sound problems, with upbeat, catchy folk rock. However, Madelline Follin's vocals were erratic at times, one song being excruciatingly off pitch, and they didn't fulfil their potential. 4/10

Cloud Control from Australia were perhaps the discovery of Reading for me: plenty of musical interest, wonderful vocals, and tent filling energy. I wasn't totally lost in their music, but the harmonies are lovely, and there's a bright, easy going quality. The highlight was Ghost Story. 8/10

Smith Westerns from Chicago have a retro sound, with a gift for melody, and the confidence of youth. I didn't catch all of their set, but liked what I heard enough to download their sophomore album Dye It Blonde on my return home. 7/10


Along with Warpaint, The National was my highlight of Reading and made most of the other headlines look superfluous. If anything they were even more impressive than in their Coachella set, where they were placed on the secondary (Outdoor) stage. This emotional, often sad rock has real depth, and I became immersed in the music over the hour long performance, accompanied by a beautiful sunset. Matt Berringer came off the stage, right into the audience. They ranged widely through Boxer, Alligator and most movingly for me High Violet, with England and Bloodbuzz Ohio particularly sublime. 10/10

Sunset during The National's set.




Bombay Bicycle Club from London were eager to promote their new album A Different Kind of Fix to the packed NME Tent. I have a great deal of respect for their music making, yet it fails to really ignite my imagination, live or recorded. I only caught the end of their set, and there's no doubt they were well received, it didn't quite take off for me. 6/10

Crystal Castles are a Canadian Electronic duo who put on a spectacular light show and pushed the boundaries of comprehension. When I saw them previously at the Outdoor stage at Coachella, their act didn't really make sense, but this time, inside a crowded tent, I was caught up in the frenzied atmosphere and experimental feel. 8/10

Pulp were extremely well reviewed, but I'm not going to attempt to rate them since I only caught the end of the set, and they're not really to my taste. They were a big draw to many though and Jarvis Cocker was certainly charismatic.

The Strokes were the Saturday evening head liners and kept the crowd waiting for what seemed like an interminable time, and when they finally decided to come on, I was suffering from fatigue. They fell flat, and were the disappointment of Reading given my high expectations from recordings and praise from others. I've since re-watched the set on television, and my initial judgement has been confirmed: they were a real let down and as they rushed through the set left you wondering if they really wanted to be here. One for die hard Strokes loyalists only who may have enjoyed Saturday evening more than the band itself appeared to. 2/10


No comments:

Post a Comment