Thursday, May 3, 2012

We Are Augustines, Manchester Academy 3, 2nd May 2012 8/10


I've now seen We Are Augustines three times in past two months (see my comments on their shows at Coachella and at The Night and Day Cafe in Manchester). They're a band which divides opinion: they have gained a considerable following without major label support, and this gig sold out quickly. However, others whose musical tastes I usually share have found them not to their liking. I was on the fence too after seeing them for the first time (despite liking the album), posting a review critical of Billy McCarthy’s vocals, yet in the days following it, I found the experience remained in my consciousness, and Augustines clearly made a strong impression on me.


It's not just on reflection that I've become a strong supporter though, as their show has developed even in this short period. The touring band has gone from three members to six with the addition of trombone, saxophone and trumpet players for selected songs. These brass players bring the live sound closer to that of the album. It's also become slicker and more professional, for example in the theatrical use of lighting and entrance music. Their previous Manchester show was delivered on the ragged edge: this one was more polished, yet still with spontaneity and passion.


I was fortunate to be literally amongst the action right at the front of a small venue with no barrier, and was particularly struck by McCarthy's visible joy and beaming expression. I outlined his remarkably painful back story in my first Augustines review, and he referred last night to the pain of living in New York and of touring being a relief and escape. The recognition he's finally receiving for his music appears to have been healing. I found it telling that the bottle of Jameson's brought on stage for the encores appeared not to contain whisky: his last band Pela was torn apart through alcohol.


When I first heard Augustines live I found it a little bombastic and lacking in subtlety, yet this was a misinterpretation on my part. The emotions are authentic to the core, and the lyrics are incredibly heartfelt. However, the support act My Goodness, from Seattle, were (by intention) lacking in the expression of tender feelings. They've been described as being modelled on The Black Keys, and whilst they're a drummer and guitarist / vocalist duo, their rock is harder. I cannot fault the energy, and they were incredibly exciting to watch from close quarters. Their appeal is more visceral than intellectual, yet for all their hard edged posturing, their musicianship was extremely technically assured and precisely executed. The volume was almost overwhelming (even wearing -24db earplugs) which added to the sense of involvement. This was their first ever gig in the UK, and I'm so happy they're sharing their talents with us here.


The reason this gig was so successful wasn't so much the music (although We Are Augustines successfully mix a sense of melody with power), but the atmosphere, which I hope is captured in some of my pictures. The young audience were totally engaged by the band, dancing and singing along with a sense of euphoric joy, allowed to party by the well-judged, low key security at this venue. They played Rise Ye Sunken Ships, the title song not included on their eponymous album, but for me Headlong into The Abyss and the closing Chapel Song made an even more powerful impression. Yet my highlight was Barrel of Leaves: McCarthy almost apologised for singing it, explaining that he found it cathartic to do so. He sung solo, accompanying himself on guitar, and created a moment of real beauty. He asked rhetorically "Why do you pack your parachute With a thousand ton weight?". Watching him in the California sunshine performing on the main Coachella stage, and then last night smiling with joy, I think the weight on his shoulders has lightened, I hope permanently. He was sincerely grateful for our support, and has the look of joy that only someone who has been on the edge of the abyss can know.


Set List

  1. Ballad
  2. Juarez
  3. Philadelphia
  4. Rise ye Sunken Ships
  5. Strange Days
  6. Augustine
  7. Barrel of Leaves
  8. Patton State
  9. Book of James
  10. East LA
  11. Headlong into the Abyss
  12. Chapel Song

My Goodness (Support Band)

3 comments:

  1. I was at the front too and I think you are spot on with your comments. I went to the Night & Day show too and loved the intimacy. I didn't think we would get this again at a bigger venue, but the intimacy was there. A more polished performance, but still full of the raw energy and passion.
    I am in my 40's, but felt really comfortable in a young crowd.
    It is clear the WAA love their fans and I know they are going to get bigger. Glad I was there before they got massive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, many thanks for your comments; you must have been stood close to me. I absolutely agree about the joy of discovering bands early and so being able to see them in small venues. I experienced Alabama Shakes last night and it's almost certain that there won't be a chance again to see them in an intimate setting.
    They are a band who like WAA are in a different league live than on their albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the angle of the photo's, I think I was stood next to you (I think you kindly let me in at the front!).
      Went to see WAA in Liverpool this week and it was once again amazing. Even more intimate with lots of banter. Hope I get to see them again.
      Glad you enjoyed Alabama Shakes - they are going to be massive.

      Delete