Monday, April 29, 2013

Coachella 2013 Day 2 Photos

Top Performances

1) Portugal. The Man 10/10
It's too long since I've seen the Alaskans live, and this set was amazing. I can't wait for the new album.


2) Puscifer 9.5/10
This is the first time I've seen James Maynard Keenan, and he's clearly a genius. Carina Round impressed too and the quirky white trash set added to the sense of creativity.


3) Sigur Ros 9/10
Musically, this was unbelievable, but conditions at Coachella weren't ideal to appreciate them, with less immersive visuals than in a theatre, and some noise leakage from the Phoenix on the main stage.


4) Spritualized 9/10
This was the first time I'd seen this group, who were accompanied by a full choir and drew me in completely to their rich textures on the outdoor stage at night, the mood enhanced by candles on stage.

5) Savages 8.5/10
These Brits were the surprise of the day for me- staggering energy and commitment which was compelling to watch. I can't wait to see them on home ground next month.


6) Two Door Cinema Club 8/10
This British group is always fun, but the Coachella experience couldn't match the small venue I saw them in last September, and it would have been more apt if they'd been entertaining a crowd in the midday sun than at night.

7) Bat for Lashes 8/10
Natasha Khan attracted a huge crowd which was unable to fit in the Mohave tent. After a slight tentative start, her moody pop was surprisingly moving.

8) Shovels and Rope 8/10
The duo from South Carolina seemed genuinely happy to be performing, and their high energy country was an invigorating start to the day.

9) Wild Nothing 7.5/10
This dreamy sound was apt for the midday heat, even if it felt slightly low energy following directly Shovels and Rope.

10) Janelle Monae 7/10
I can quite understand if this set was some people's highlight of the day: I was weary by this stage, but it was a truly collaborative and spectacular effort.

11) Simian Mobile Disco 7/10
I was amazed at the party atmosphere in the Mojave tent when I stumbled across this show as Spirtualized finished.

12) Mona 6/10
This mainstream rock from the Tennessee group was a little too close to Kings of Leon for my taste.


The Polo Fields





No comments:

Post a Comment