Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rodrigo y Gabriela, Neon Trees, Chairlift, Bear in Heaven, LA, April '12

Here's a round-up of the live music I experienced in Los Angeles in the days preceding Coachella Weekend One. I took a holiday from reviewing and queuing up to get at the front to take photos, but here are some pictures from the crowd and my brief thoughts on the four shows.

Blouse (support)

Bear in Heaven

Bear in Heaven, Echo LA, April 6 2012 3/10
If there was a score for the venue I would have given it one out of ten, since the sound was utterly dismal throughout, indistinct where ever we stood, the vocals for all three acts being all but inaudible. Even my least favourite venue in Manchester, The Apollo, has vastly better sound, which leads me to wonder if the sound engineer at The Echo had failed to turn up that night. Even allowing for this, Bear in Heaven failed to inspire the crowd, or indeed me. The two support acts also lacked sparkle, the openers Blouse showing greater promise than High Places.

Rodrigo Sánchez

Gabriela Quintero

Rodrigo y Gabriela, Hollywood Palladium, April 7 2012 9/10
This larger venue lacked some character, but the Mexican duo's performances were utterly magnetic and compelling. The energy of the pair was infectious, and the band Cuba's accompaniment added colour. My one regret was that I was suffering badly from jet lag, but this was compelling playing, captivating to watch. They met whilst playing in a thrash metal band, and they bring this commitment to their Latin acoustic guitar rock.

Nico Vega

Neon Trees

Nico Vega, Neon Trees, Troubadour LA, April 10 2012 9/10
I saw Neon Trees at Coachella last year and so knew they were great fun, but this gig exceeded my expectations, helped greatly by the intimate venue's fine sound and historic character. This was a release show for Neon Trees' new album Picture Show, which I will be including in my May round-up of my top new releases. For me though, Nico Vega's rock was even more creative and thought provoking, and her stage presence was incredibly strong. She's not to be missed.

Nite Jewel (Support)

Chairlift

Chairlift, Troubadour LA, April 11 2012 8/10
My second visit to this West Hollywood venue was also an extremely positive experience. Caroline Polachek of Chairlift was accompanied by bassist Patrick Wimberly and a touring band, most of the set consisting of their 2012 album Something. Their set was energetic, and despite my tiredness the electronics and Polachek's vocals captured my attention with a distinctly 80's sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment