Sunday, April 29, 2012

Coachella 2012, 13th April Day 1


This was my second year at Coachella: you can see my impressions of last year starting here. The line-up was even stronger this time. Here are some photographs and short impressions from the first day.

Other Lives 8/10
Thanks to Coachella's ridiculously over-zealous and duplicated security searches, I missed half of Other Lives' set, arriving just as the rain started falling. The ambitiously orchestral sound produced by these multi instrumentalists from Oklahoma was just as stirring as ever. Jesse Tabith's voice is wonderful, but this is very much a collaborative effort, and on this evidence their live set has become more confident and polished since I saw them in Manchester last year.

EMA 8/10

EMA has amazing energy on stage, and is a compelling performer to watch. Her music's a creative mix of grunge, goth and country, and the less than perfect weather suited its dark, turbulent tone. Of course the wind didn't faze this South Dakota native. Erika has attitude, and the lyrics are often bleak, yet the experience is cathartic rather than depressing.

This was the first time I'd seen Grouplove, and they proved to be an unexpected highlight of Coachella. They brought warm energy to the Mojave tent, even as the fake grass on stage swayed wildly in the wind. Their catchy melodies really energised and engaged the huge crowd and by the closing Colours everyone seemed to be in a state of euphoria.

GIRLS 7/10
Girls heartfelt rock attracted a substantial crowd at the outdoor stage despite the rain, but their relatively low key sound failed to send them wild. Their recent album Father Son Holy Ghost is strong, however, and whilst this didn't seem the ideal setting to appreciate the music, I was sufficiently impressed to want to see them locally at a show. Lead singer Chrisopher Owen's cult related back story is fascinating incidentally.

Dawes 8/10

I've previously been most impressed with Dawes, and whilst the Mojave was a less intimate setting, the heart warming rootsy rock had a positive effect on my spirits with its country influences. The mellow Laurel Canyon sound was so satisfying, as as ever, and Taylor Goldsmith as ever put on a flawless performance.

The Black Keys 7.5/10
My first encounter with The Black Keys was less than inspiring; this did something to restore my faith in Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney. This was their first Coachella as headliners, and they just about justified their position, helped by the punchy numbers from El Camino. Gold on the Ceiling of course reverberated strongly with the crowd, and whilst I had fun, I do sometimes find their horizons and imagination slightly limited. Perhaps they'll convert me fully to their live set at Reading in August.

M83 8/10
The clash with The Black Keys meant that I caught only a small part of M83's set, but they'd clearly electrified the overflowing Mojave tent, and I'm sure their full set would have been every bit as compelling as I found them earlier in this year in the UK. It consisted largely of the electro pop from their most recent album Hurry Up, I'm Dreaming, and I'm told Midnight City sent the crowd wild.


No comments:

Post a Comment