Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fleet Foxes, O2 Apollo Manchester 28 June 2011 8/10

Mykonos from Sun Giant EP, a highlight of the evening

I went to this gig with conflicting emotions: excitement to be finally seeing one of the first non-classical acts I came to respect, coupled with apprehension about whether I'd have much fun. Helplessness Blues has been almost universally acclaimed, and although I like this album, I haven't fallen in love, being unsure how much it adds to their début from 2008. I also had doubts about Fleet Foxes' authenticity: have they been carefully packaged, complete with gorgeous album art, to reassure the mainstream consumer? Is this the sort of music to which my parents would listen, if they dared stray outside the classical straight jacket I used to inhabit? After an hour of aural politeness, would I rush out to my car to satisfy a desperate craving for challenge in the form of Nine Inch Nails?


Now, the capacity audience didn't dance wildly (there was more movement during the lovely support act, The Bees), but I needn't have worried: surprisingly, they are more compelling live than on their albums, and they are definitely real. We were treated to a vast array of largely acoustic instruments: sufficient guitars to stock a small shop, banjo, flute, double bass, mandolin, piano, and saxes. Fleet Foxes is all about the quality of the sound though, and it was richer, fuller and more impactful than I expected. The nearest we got to naivety was the first encore, a solo rendition of Oliver James, but Fleet Foxes understand the impact of bass which vibrates your entire body. To fall asleep to this, you'd either need to be either deaf, or drinking something other than the tea Pecknold was sipping throughout.


It would be impossible to write about Fleet Foxes without mentioning those gorgeous, ethereal 3 and 4 part vocal harmonies. I was struck by the quality of the singing, above all from lead Robin Pecknold, whose voice is just so beautiful and well pitched. The band didn't move wildly on stage, but I was lucky enough to be standing on the front row up against the rail, and so be able to look into their eyes to see their commitment. They were totally absorbed in the music; and so was I.


An obvious point of comparison is with Mumford and Sons, another folk inspired act who have found themselves propelled into mainstream success. Much though I enjoyed Mumford at Coachella, I've a feeling they've manipulated their sound to appeal to the mass audiences, whereas Fleet Foxes sound truer to their roots. Fleet Foxes at least give the appearance of simply having stumbled upon the big time without being packaged. Between song banter during the 90 minute set was limited, the jokes largely coming from the crowd: one or two young female members kept urging Pecknold to remove his shirt, for example.


I've recently gone back and scored my live reviews, so you might ask why I've given Fleet Foxes 8/10, when Portugal. The Man warranted full marks. Well, the emotions invoked by Fleet Foxes are those of deep satisfaction with the world, love and an appreciation of beauty. I was transported to another realm, forgetting about everyday worries (such as the venue's hostile staff) for a while during the performance. I didn't quite come away feeling I'd experienced something so transcendental that I'd be on a high for days afterwards, though. You really should seize the opportunity to see Fleet Foxes at least once, as you will probably be presently surprised, and if you're even vaguely in touch with your tender side, you won't be bored. My remaining concern is where they're going to go next: they have a lovely sound, but is there sufficient variety? Are they constrained by their genre, in a similar way to, say baroque opera composers? We shall see. I don't listen to Fleet foxes every week, but there are times when the mood they invoke is just so perfect.

White Winter Hymnal from first album

Helplessness Blues

Battery Kinzie

Postscript: Fleet Foxes didn't drive me into the arms of NIN, although I do have to admit to listening to Awolnation Megalithic Symphony on the drive home. Fleet Foxes is however always my first choice of in car music when it's snowing outside.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment