Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kyla La Grange, Wolf Gang Sugarmill Stoke June 1st 2011 6/10

I deny being biased towards 24 year old Kyla La Grange for having studied Philosophy at my own university, although I do admit to being a little envious that she has hippy parents who were involved in the anti-Apartheid Movement. This background information's relevant because her songs lyrics are deep; about screwing up life. Indeed she said in an interview: “I only write because I’m often quite sad…I don’t think I’d write if I was a genuinely happy person.”

She cites Elliot Smith as an influence and played at Glastonbury in 2010; her first album is due to be released in 2012. Her début single is Walk Through Walls, with her second Been Better due out later this month. She clearly thinks deeply about her lyrics and  interestingly she lists Elvis Perkins as one of her influences, an artist I admire greatly.

Kyla played an entertaining set, accompanied by a band, and put on a confident performance. Her style was more pop oriented than I expected: I think she's decided to turn away from her folk roots and court wider appeal. I wasn't expecting to mention Ellie Goulding in this review, but I think she's aspiring to develop along similar lines. On this evidence, she might just pull it off, but I hope she doesn't lose her distinctiveness in pursuing this ambition: based on my prior research, I'd imagined this would be a less visceral and more spiritual experience.

The Sugarmill is a small, local venue which is a showcase for emerging artists. Kyla played a relatively short set, and it's early days to assess her talent, but there's definitely evidence of her potential, and she's a performer to keep an eye on.



Wolf Gang’s 24 year old founder Max McElligott is the son of a history professor, and has a violinist mother. He dropped out of the London School of Economics two months before his final exams and turned down a well-paid Government job to party and make music. Influences have been described as late 70’s Bowie,  Eno and Talking Heads, or Grizzly Bear in more contemporary times. He's already achieving recognition: the first album, Suego Faults with Atlantic Records set for release on 11th July, and he's playing UK festivals Glastonbury, V Festival, and T in The Park this year.

The single Lion in Cages is electro pop, with references to MGMT and The Killers: not especially original in style but well executed, catchy and joyful. The King and All of His Men has heavy use of synth and chrorus. Dancing with the Devil is the most energetic, rockiest song.

 
Wolf Gang’s appeal is in the catchy hooks, interesting chord progressions, jauntiness and layers. There’s a romantic side, the album title ‘Suego Faults’ being the name of an imaginary utopia which came to him in a dream. The parallel with Kyla La Grange is the decision to pursue a pop path despite an intellectual background.


I was excited about this gig, since Wolf Gang created a real buzz at Dot to Dot Festival, and I'd been impressed with their EP. Perhaps my expectations were too high, since whilst their 45 minute set was enjoyable, circumstances conspired against them as they faced technical difficulties. Whilst Max dealt with these issues professionally, I wasn't really able to relax until the last song, as their sound engineer rushed around the stage and the venue's  technicians eventually managed to get their equipment working fully. Furthermore, whilst the event was well attended, it wasn't packed like their gig in Manchester a couple of days' earlier, and the audience didn't really rock along. I also felt that the Sugar Mill's sound system's volume was at the expense of clarity in the vocals: the mix seemed opaque to me.

Live music can sometimes be a lottery for both the performer and audience, and I'm learning that with spontaneity comes unpredictability. Wolf Gang may end up breaking through into the mainstream, and the band's embarked on an extensive UK tour. I'll certainly be checking them out if they play at another festival I attend, and I'll be buying Suego Faults, but Stoke perhaps wasn't his finest hour.





6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment