Monday, December 19, 2011

My Top 10 Live Acts of 2011

2011 has been an amazing year of live music for me, which has been literally life changing. Here are my top ten acts; obviously I'm only including performers I've seen this year, so it's not a definitive list, but you should make every effort to see as many of these as possible in 2012. I've included links to my reviews of the shows  and to the musicians' web sites.

1) Portugal. The Man
John Gourley's band from Alaska is easily my winner, for their amazing energy on stage; they rocked at the Deaf Institute in November and this is the band I'll be most excited about when the come to the UK again. It was their set at The Roadhouse though in April which really convinced me of the magic of live rock music: it left me high for days.

2) Cut Copy
The audience reaction to Cut Copy in the tent at Coachella was unforgettable. Their show at Manchester's Club Academy lacked that spectacular desert setting, yet it was still the best party of the year, and it's difficult to imagine a live music experience which is more fun.

3) Arcade Fire
The Suburbs is one of my favourite albums, yet live they add another dimension and are spectacularly tight and committed. Their Coachella Suburbs set with those balloons was amazing, but I think their MEN Arena gig had even more impact.

4) The National
The National's set was the highlight of my Reading Festival. I was stood at the front, at sunset, and the songs such as England from High Violet moved me to tears. They were also stellar at Coachella, again performing as the sun went down. They deserve a far higher profile in the UK.

5) Adele
Sadly it's unlikely I'll see Adele in a mid sized venue (Manchester Apollo) again, since despite her protestations to the contrary, she's destined for stadiums in future. That astonishing voice is even more powerful live, and electrifies the air in the theatre. Her personality also shines through: she'd definitely the chattiest and most humorous performer I've seen.


6) The Civil Wars
I was incredibly privileged to see Joy Williams and John Paul White from the front of a tiny venue, The Night and Day Cafe, and their set was utterly magical. The chemistry between the two is quite special, and their songs are tender and beautiful. I selfishly regret that their new found fame means my next encounter with them in March will be in a larger space, especially as they were lost in a sea of audience noise at Manchester's Apollo supporting Adele.


8) Awolnation
This new LA band came as close to Portugal. The Man for sheer raw energy as anyone this year, and songs like Knights of Shame were so invigorating. Aaron Bruno at the Deaf Institute didn't put on the most refined performance, but it was physically exhausting in the best possible way. They rock!

8) Warpaint
The female group from California created one of the most spiritual experiences of the year: they were hypnotic, and I got totally lost in their pounding drums and hazy vocals at the Reading Festival.

9) Zola Jesus
This was the surprise of the year: Zola Jesus is outstanding in understanding the psychology of engagement with the audience. Listening to Contatus at home can in no way prepare you for the seductive moodiness of her live set, experienced by me from the front row of Manchester's Academy 3.

10) Joseph Arthur
I've seen Joseph three times this year: at Coachella as part of Fistful of Mercy; at Bardot in Hollywood (that was a blur, due to my lack of sobriety) and most memorably at Manchester's Band on The Wall. The fact that I was only thwarted in seeing him a forth time by delays in his Visa coming through should speak volumes about how highly I rank him. He's a renaissance man, painting and writing poetry alongside his great creativity as a singer songwriter. Above all, his music is moving, which is surely what the live experience is about.

5 Honourable Mentions: PJ Harvey at The Apollo Manchester, Mumford and Sons (Coachella), Rural Alberta Advantage at the Deaf Institute, Wye Oak at the Ruby Lounge, Naked & Famous during the Dot to Dot Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment